Shade to Light

Fine art painted by Dan Dollahon

2:17 PM

"Tree of Life"

Posted by Dan Dollahon


   "Tree of Life" 60" x 48". Oil on canvas. The title comes from Genesis 2:9 "the tree of life also in the midst of the garden", in which it had the potential to grant immortality to Adam and Eve. In Proverbs it is a simile for a blessing.

   Various trees of life are recounted in folklore, culture and fiction, often relating to immortality or fertility.
   The idea for this painting was sparked by Darren Aronofsky's film The Fountain. The image of this tree was imprinted in my mind and , when I got to the studio, I sought to render it the way I remembered it (with some changes). For instance, I wanted it solitary to add to it's uniqueness and, instead of a wide pool at it's base, I have a small trickle of water - itself a symbol of life - widening to a stream, then river, emanating from it's roots. The tree "glows" from within and it's branches are heavy, extending even to the ground. It is morning and the world is young.

0 comments:

Post a Comment